Just landed! / 引っ越し中

Just landed on our new apartment in Tokyo.  It's nice to be in a location where I know I will be for the next few years rather than the next several nights, as I've probably spent more time in hotels and airplanes than our home in California since December.

The "landing team" consisted of me, my rollaboard suitcase, and two cardboard boxes.  But this is Japan, man.  It wasn't going to be a lonesome event.

I was welcome by the real estate agent, relocation consultant, management company reps (x2) and security system staff (x3), and they spent two hours with me going over the equipment, inspecting all corners of the place, and explaining the security system.

No sooner than had they left me alone in an emtpy apartment, the lease company came with rental furniture (consisting of couch, coffee table, dining kit, beds), pots and pans and plates and utensils, all the linens, and "surival kit" consisting of handsoap, toilet papers, and a big jug of water.   The place now looks like a real apartment :-)

I went to a nearby grocery store and stock up the apartment, but it would have been too much for me to walk home with.   But then, like many other supermarkets in Japan, they deliver stuff home for free for purchases over JPY10,000.    Then, I realized I only had 11,000 yen in my wallet.  They take credit cards but then I won't get the loyalty points for the program that I just signed up.  So I stuffed the shopping cart in abandon, but with very rough calculation so that the total ends up somewhere exactly between 10,000 and 11,000 yen.

Checkout cashier non-chalantly finishes off my stuff and says:

"Total is 9,532 yen.   So it will be 9,732 yen with delivery fee."

Darn.  Think quickly.  There is a line behind me with other customers.  I need to add an item very quickly before these customers start fuming, thinking that I am wasting their time to save on the pesky $2 delivery fee.  The "last item" gotta be something that's close by, yet something that I actually need...

A pile of six-packs in the end of the checkout counters gave me the answer.

Then the free delivery that I just qualified lets me choose a convenient 2-hour window of 18:00 - 20:00.   Delivery showed up at 18:30, and my day's mission is accomplished. 

So I am in a comfortably furnished apartment with stuffed fridge (with beer), getting back online with my HSDPA card for now.  Next mission: tomorrow's delivery from Yodobashi Camera for the TV and stereo unit.   Then on Friday, the local cable company will hook up the apartment with 160Mbps IP, VoIP, and terrestrial digital HDTV broadcast...all for $60/mo.   (You gotta love Japan.)

Then I will be complete :-)

Oh wait, my family!  They'll arrive next week, and the real fun life in this town begins then!

---

やっと今日東京の賃貸マンションに入居。年末に「駐在」が決まって以来、ホテルと飛行機に「住んで」いるような状態だったので、これから数年落ち着けるところに入って一息つけた感じ。

で、今朝はスーツケースと段ボール箱2つで参上。あっけない入居になると思ったが、とんでもない。賃貸契約をした不動産屋、リロケーションのヘルプをしてくれるコンサルタント、マンション管理会社の代表(二人)、セコムの担当員(3人)という豪華キャストのお迎え。みっちり2時間かけて、機材備品のチェック、共有施設の使い方、セキュリティーシステムの説明などなど大サービス。

彼らが去った後も空っぽのアパートでメールチェックしつつ、しばらくすると今度はリース会社がトラックで参上。船便が着くまでに必要なベーシック家具、キッチン用品や食器、ベッド+リネンなどなど、あっという間にセットアップ。

マンション一丁あがりぃ!

早速食べ物や消耗品などを買いに、近くのピーコックへ。ただ車を買うつもりはないので、初回の買い物はとても歩いて持って帰れるものじゃない。タクシーにしてはいくら何でも近すぎ。で、そこはさすが日本のスーパー。10,000円以上お買い上げは、即日自宅まで配達。嬉しいねえ。早速ポイントカードに加入してカートがあふれるまで買い物するが、財布に現金が11,000円しかないことに気づく。クレジットカードはもちろん使えるが、それではポイントはつかない。でもここでやっと満載したカートを放置して、ATMへ走るのも気が引ける。テキトー足し算引き算して、10,000円以上11,000以内の買い物をすべく、レジへ向かう。

「合計9,532円でーす。配達料含めて9,732円となりまーす。」

ちきしょう。あとちょっとだ。何か買わないと。でも無駄買いしたくない。でも、ここで僕の後ろにレジに並んでいるお客さんたちを、「オマエはたかが200円で待たせるのか」と思われないぐらいに手近な場所から探さなければ!

レジ列の端にある、エビスビール6缶パックの山がすぐ目に入った。これだ!

めでたく無料宅配手続き。もちろん日本の宅配ロジだから、18:00 - 20:00 とかのラッシュアワーの配達アポのすぐOK.  ちゃんと18:30 に来た。

よーし。家具もそろい、冷蔵庫もstuffed!  あとは、明日のヨドバシからのテレビとステレオセットの配達を待つのみ。あと、ケーブル会社のネット+電話+BS/地デジ接続。これが終われば、完了だ。

じゃなかった。まだだ。奥さんと子供が来週来てからだ。それからまた新しい生活の始まり、というところ。楽しみ!




Comments

Anonymous said…
Yokoso! I felt Japan was a very cash-centric society, for some reason..
Rich said…
セットアップ早やっ!

Popular Posts